Saint Francis Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Francis Trip

Happy Spring to all you paddlers!! I just want to remind all boaters that I will be hosting a trip to the Saint Francis River. The Saint is located in the Missouri Ozarks... About a five hour drive from Indy, and is a great way to start off the paddling season. The general plan is to meet on Saturday morning, March 25th and paddle the class III Tiemann shut-in section which is an intermediate run about 2.5 miles long and is suitable, under normal water conditions, for all but complete novice boaters. At normal water levels, this river is a bit more challenging, but not much harder than the Nantahala Gorge. Depending on weather, usually there are paddlers that are willing to do two laps. That night, some groups decide to camp right by the takeout while others, (me) will stay inside a warm hotel in the nearby town of Farmington.

Sunday morning we will paddle the class III section again and then head back to Indiana.

I will post more info and predictions about water levels and weather as we get closer to the weekend of the trip.

Also... There is an upstream class II section (easier than the Nantahala) that can be run as a separate stretch of river or can be combined with the lower Saint as a five mile class II-III run. This is a nice option for those wishing to "test their skills" with a nice warmup before tackling the lower shut-in section. Here's a link to the AWA page.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/co...etail/id/2921/

Any questions can be sent to me, Bob Heckler at rheckler@att.net or you can call me at 219-878-6941.

How are water levels?

Comment

Not good. There's big rain potential coming Friday thru Saturday but i don't want to chance getting caught high and dry hiking all day. I'm thinking of changing plans and heading elsewhere. Anyone interested in hitting an upper section of the Meadow (class 3/4) in WV or the Cranberry (class 4)? Or we could head up to the Plateau and do Clear Creek (class 3+). I'd also consider not driving as far and doing the Rockcastle In Kentucky (class 3) but lake Cumberland is starting to rise and inundate the bottom drops. There's the Slippery Rock in PA (class 2-3) which is relatively close and very beautiful but it's getting low too. If I'm going solo I'll probably hit the Upper Meadow and the Cranberry but I'll go to any of the above choices if there's interest.

Comment

Working...
      X